Sunday 28 August 2011

New Experiences...


Entry as second year students to an engineering college is something that fascinates everybody. After all, it is a person’s first year as a senior, and the thirst to ‘interact’ with juniors is unquenchable. And in BITS- Pilani, Rajasthan, interactions become even more important since everything is managed by students, and fresh ideas are what everyone requires.

this so explains the current state of my life..
All through my first year I used to be charmed by the idea of recruitments. Just thinking about searching twelve- thirteen like-minded people in a whole batch of eight hundred was enough to enthral me. We were always told that every department has its own requirements, and it is our duty to get the best suited people. The thought of recruiting the wrong people caused maximum disorientation. I used to think I would never be able to forgive myself in case I recruited the wrong type of juniors to the department!

With all this in mind, we started the new academic year with the hope of having the time of our lives. It took just days for us to understand the Rule number one of being a senior: For all second year students, their immediate junior batch is the dumbest set of people they have ever met.

Yeah, this rule is very true. When to what was a very thought of question, you get the most obnoxious answer you could have expected (or rather, not expected at all) is the time you realise not everyone who comes to premiere institutes of the country is not level-headed… With an average of two face palms per person during the last month, I assume you’ll get my point.

Interactions have been a great learning experience. I learnt that not everyone who likes Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber is necessarily dumb. I learnt Rakhi Sawant is famous because she popularized silicon in the country (!). I picked up that it you and your best friends can have really conflicting views on the same person. When people say they listen to hard rock and heavy metal, they generally mean Linkin Park. There are people who think Friday is fantabulous and a highly philosophical vocal. I learnt it is always better to store the names of all juniors in a separate group in your contacts, because calling the wrong people, like M. Pharm. Students can lead to utmost abashment. I also learnt that if interactions continue for a longer time than you anticipated initially, you run out of questions. You can never be well prepared for such stuff. And that the best way to scare a junior is to stare at them and ask, “Do you find me scary?”

This first month of the brand new semester has been pretty eventful. I made another failed attempt to get recruited to my favourite club at BITS. Conclusions from this experience say that some things are fated not to happen. A misunderstanding with close friends due to reasons none of us can remember, being voted the second- most scariest senior in the hostel, playing an awesome game of life-sized Scotland Yard organized by the juniors, conducting a treasure hunt for freshmen, looking at their awed expressions and feeling your chest swell with pride, two trips in seven days with your buddies, taking notes in a technical Report Writing class with a hope that it will help you with interactions, and losing weight at an exponential rate are some of those experiences which only college life can boast of. I am very sure these four years of my life are going to be among the best ever to pass.

Life is splendid. Some people just fail to acknowledge its beauty.

5 comments: